Tuesday 6 November 2012

Pooh

We all love Winnie the Pooh. After all, if nothing else, he gives big hugs to small children.

Hugging Pooh

Winnie is looking pretty good for a fairly old bear. It won't be all that long until he is celebrating his 100th birthday, and the original bear now has pride of place (along with some of his most special friends) in a museum in New York. Check out their picture here.

It's been a long and impressive journey for a bear who was born not all that far from here, in stories told by A A Milne to his son, Christopher Robin. From the Ashdown Forest, all the way to Walt Disney World!

And what is it that's making me think of Winnie today. Well, I'm sure Nicky won't mind me reporting a text she sent to me this morning, in which she admitted to getting quite down and a little tearful about the lack of progress with our house move. I was reminded of another slightly tearful moment (I think all the stress is making us both a little emotional)! It happened to me just as I arrived at work today, when I heard a quote from Winnie the Pooh on the radio.

The key part of the quote is not actually from Pooh himself, it's from his good friend Piglet, and it goes like this:

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
"Pooh?" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you."

Beautiful.